Written by Marco Carvajal
2020 is the year of birth of the long waited 3-Row Crossover by Cadillac, the XT6, priced at $53,690, a great price for a luxury 3-row Cadillac.
The XT6 has a perfect size for medium to large size families, it is smaller than the Escalade, but bigger than than the XT4 and the XT5.
Both XT4 and XT5 don’t include a 3rd row, something that Cadillac’s lovers have been waiting for a long time. Yes, the Escalade has 3 rows, but that is a full-size SUV and many of us prefer to drive a medium-large size SUV like the new XT6. Easy to drive, easy to park, easy to maneuver on a busy highway, on congested downtowns or on compact parking spaces, but still not so small, it is actually very big compared to many other SUVs.
Cadillac’s SUV Crossover Lineup: XT4, XT5, XT6, and Escalade.
The new XT6 is available in two versions, Sport and Premium Luxury, I am test driving the later one.
Riding the XT6 with children and friends through Florida gives me a great sense of how versatile and comfortable is this new 3 row SUV.
2020 Cadillac XT6 Premium Luxury Highlights
- Three Rows of Seating with Power-fold third-row seats
- 78.7 cubic feet of maximum cargo space behind the first row
- Premium Materials
- Cadillac User Experience
- 3.6L V6 engine featuring direct injection
- 310 horsepower
- 271 lb-ft of torque
- 9-speed Automatic transmission
- Front Pedestrian Braking
- HD Rear Vision Camera with Remote Wash
- Lane Keep Assist with Lane Departure Warning
- Available Rear Camera Mirror and other advanced safety features included on the Enhanced Visibility and Technology Package.
- 8″ diagonal touch-screen with Cadillac user experience
- Premium audio Bose 8-Speaker sound system
- SiriusXM with 360L trial subscription
- Red Taillamp Lens
- Tri-zone automatic climate control
- 20 MPG estimated combined fuel consumption (18 city and 25 highway)
- 19.0 Gallons Fuel Tank Capacity
- Six USB ports (two Type A and four Type C), one SD card slot and two 12-volt power outlets
- 4G LTE Wi-Fi® hotspot (includes 3GB or three months of data, whichever comes first)8
“The XT6 is designed to make every seat the best seat in the house, with every inch carefully considered to offer refinement, comfort, connectivity and safety,” said Steve Carlisle, Cadillac president. “With its host of standard features and two expressions of the signature Cadillac experience, XT6 will offer customers a high level of content with choices for style and driving character.”
The Escalade is built on a large truck-based platform, and the XT6 is built on a unibody car-based platform. We can see some similarities in the frame of the XT6 with the Chevrolet Traverse and Buick Enclave, but the X6 is a little bit more narrow.
The XT6 comes with 3 rows with a total of six or seven seats, depending on the second-row format as a bench or with captain’s chairs. The one I am test driving uses captain chairs on the second row what makes it very convenient to walk from the second to the third row, with a lot of space between the two seats and more space for accessories inside the car.
The new 2020 Cadillac’s XT6 offers one of the segment’s most generous package of standard features combining safety and driver assistance technologies.
Besides the large number of standard safety features, the XT6 offers several additions with optional packages like the Available Platinum Package or the available comfort & Air Quality package.
Two XT6 Trims
- 2020 Cadillac XT6 Premium Luxury (FWD or AWD)
- 2020 Cadillac XT6 Sport (AWD only)
So far General Motors only has release 2 trim version of the new 2020 XT6, the Premium Luxury that I am test driving, and also the XT6 Sport trim.
The Premium XT6 is offered with FWD or AWD, while the Sport model is only offered with AWD.
Both models Premium and Sport are powered by a 3.6L V6 engine that produces 310 horsepower, with a
9-speed automatic transmission.
- 2020 Cadillac XT6 Premium Luxury FWD, MSRP $53,690
- 2020 Cadillac XT6 Premium Luxury AWD, MSRP $55,690
- 2020 Cadillac XT6 Sport AWD, MSRP $58,090
When purchasing a new car the competition for the buyers’ dollars is aggressive. Each brand tries to offer more value and features to attract new buyers. Warranty is one more of these factors that new buyers should consider when buying a car. A long and full coverage warranty can save you thousands of dollars and headaches when dealing with repairs after the warranty’s expiration.
- The 2020 Cadillac XT6 warranty includes the following:
- 1 scheduled maintenance visit during the first year
- 4 years or 50,000 miles Bumper to Bumper limited warranty
- 4 years or 50,000 miles Corrosion Protection and 6 years with unlimited miles for Rust-through Corrosion
- 6 years and 70,000 miles for the Powertrain Warranty of the XT6 and Road Assistance.
Compared to other cars, especially non-us brands, this warranty is good, but not the best in the market. However, as a car buyer, I will be mostly concerned about the powertrain warranty and that is actually very good with 6 years and 70,000 miles.
The 2020 Cadillac XT6 is a beautiful luxury 3-row SUV priced right at less than 60K. For many car buyers the brand name Cadillac is sign of success and luxury. Owning and driving the new XT6 Cadillac every day can be a great pleasure for most buyers.